Petco Issues Warning On Stainless Steel Pet Food Bowls
Safeway Stops Orders For Milo's Kitchen Jerky Treats In The Bay Area & FDA Tests More Dog Treats

14 Foods to Never Feed Your Pet

Food-to-Never-Feed-Your-Pet-150x150Almost everyone with a pet has been guilty one time or another of feeding their
pet table scraps. When you’re eating dinner and your beloved pet gives you ‘the
eyes’, it can be nearly impossible to resist, and who doesn’t like spoiling
their pet?

Unfortunately, an occasional table scrap may be more harmful than you
think.
Giving in may instill bad behaviors, such as begging and whining
– which I know from firsthand experience, can get very annoying. Feeding pets
table scraps for years can also lead to obesity, diabetes and overall poor
health. The odd piece of meat shouldn’t harm your dog, but there are many foods
out there that can be very harmful if ingested by your pet.

Below are some foods you should never feed your pet:

  • Chocolate, Coffee & Anything with Caffeine – Chocolate
    is an obvious one; most people know it can be very harmful if eaten by an animal
    – but coffee and caffeinated foods? All these foods contain methylxanthines,
    which can cause vomiting, diarrhea, heavy breathing, muscle
    tremors, seizures and even death. So, it is highly advisable to avoid giving
    your pet any of these substances.
  • Apricot Pits – Contain small amounts of cyanide which can
    lead to respiratory issues
  • Hops – Can cause increased heart rate, elevated
    temperature, seizures, and death.
  • Avocado – This fruit contains persin, a chemical present in
    avocado leaves, bark and the fruit itself. In pets, it can cause diarrhea, vomiting, and breathing troubles.
    There have even been a few reported deaths after ingestion.
  • Grapes & Raisins – Grapes and raisins are known to
    cause kidney troubles in pets.
    Avoid these fruits, especially if your pet already has kidney problems.
  • Dairy Products – Pets cannot digest milk very well; it can
    cause stomach upset and other allergic reactions, often resulting in skin irritation.
  • Moldy Foods – Can cause Vomiting, Tremors and
    Seizures.
  • Xylitol – Xylitol is an artificial sweetener found in many
    forms of candy. If ingested it can cause low blood sugar and even liver
    damage.
  • Onions – Onions in any form can lower a dog’s red blood
    cells, leading to anemia.
  • Mushrooms – Mushrooms are hard to identify and many can be
    poisonous to pets. Symptoms of a toxic mushrooms can include, upset stomach,
    gastrointestinal irritation, hallucination and even death.  If your yard has
    mushrooms growing make sure to remove them promptly.
  • Salt – Too much salt can cause your pet to experience
    excessive thirst and urination, so keep those salty treats to yourself.
  • Yeast Dough – It is ok to feed your dog a little bread, as
    long as it’s baked. Raw dough can expand in your pet’s stomach, causing intense pain and
    discomfort.
  • Raw Meats and Eggs – Just like humans, animals can get sick
    from uncooked meat and raw eggs. If uncooked, these foods can harbor bacteria,
    which can lead to food poisoning.
  • Nuts – Almonds, black walnuts, english walnuts, hickory
    nuts, Japanese walnuts, macadamia nuts, pecans and pistachios, can cause upset
    stomach or an obstruction in your dog’s gastrointestinal tract.  Symptoms
    generally show around 12-48 hours after ingestion and can include vomiting, muscle spasms, increased
    heart rate and a rise in body temperature.

 

These are just some of the foods that can be harmful to your pet, so make
sure to consult your vet before feeding your pet table scraps and contact your
vet immediately if your animal consumes any of these foods.

Parasite Dr.
Promotes digestive detoxification and functioning, plus cleanses the
blood

Digestive Support
Promotes healthy digestion

Comments

Feed You can follow this conversation by subscribing to the comment feed for this post.

Verify your Comment

Previewing your Comment

This is only a preview. Your comment has not yet been posted.

Working...
Your comment could not be posted. Error type:
Your comment has been saved. Comments are moderated and will not appear until approved by the author. Post another comment

The letters and numbers you entered did not match the image. Please try again.

As a final step before posting your comment, enter the letters and numbers you see in the image below. This prevents automated programs from posting comments.

Having trouble reading this image? View an alternate.

Working...

Post a comment

Comments are moderated, and will not appear until the author has approved them.

Your Information

(Name and email address are required. Email address will not be displayed with the comment.)